WiNotKnit?

Yet another knitting blog, with elements of suspense and mystery thrown in ...

Friday, March 24, 2006

Knitting at Intersections

Knitting at Intersections

In every busy life, there can be found "pockets" of time to get the interesting things done. When I was working full time and had no moments to read, I would keep a book on the passenger seat, and at those inevitable long red lights I would catch a paragraph or two of Charles Dickens or John Buchan. Those moments were refreshing and invigorating, and "saved a day that else I had rued."

Now it is about knitting. There is a catch, however. I have found that the Very Instant that I find my place in my pattern and begin to step into the oasis of creative delight which is knitting -- the light changes. Even my children have noticed this. We arrive at notoriously lengthy red lights, and they take turns shouting out, "Mama, did you bring your _Knitting_?" just to see who "wins" at turning on the green light. I challenge each of my readers to tease the stop light fates by attempting this same effort. The only time there has been enough delay to get more done than merely finding my place has been when a loooong train is whooshing past the intersection. Please comment if any of you has found the same relationship between constructive use of wasted time in the car and getting all the green lights.

Currently reading: _The Knox Brothers_
by Penelope Fitzgerald
Just finished reading: _Ladies in Waiting_
by Anne Somerset

Currently knitting - a mis-gauged (I am compensating for this) pale brown half-lacy pullover by Adrienne Vittadini
as well as part of the Jean Greenhowe knitted nativity set (Currently only the manger and straw bed are finished. Next stop - baby Jesus.)

Knitting plans - plain knit stuffed Easter eggs by Jean Greenhowe. Pictures to follow.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger beads-n-books said…

    We're all here awaiting the photos of your next knitting creations - BTW you need to insert when to add the parsely in your soup recipe. I'm making it tonight!

    Beads-n-Books

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Titine24 said…

    Hiho -- Add the parsley just at the end before blending (puree-ing) and then it cooks a little when it re-heats.

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Miss Knotty said…

    I think maybe a sock or a memorized pattern item, or garter stitch might be more successful for you for knitting at intersections. I find that something like Jaywalker or a sock on a circular (if you like that method) is very good for the long lights. I know some people who do their bills at the light - write the checks and put them in envelopes so that all they need to do once home is stick a stamp on and drop it in the mail.

    Thanks for the tip on the Etsy yarn, but I need like 7 oz and I think I'm going to go with the knitpicks option. :) If you go get it, make sure to post pics of what you knit with it!!! :)

    -Whimsy

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Aria said…

    Hey - just checking out your blog and returning comment for comment (and adding you to my list as well!)

    Anyway - if you go to the link in my post - the guy has made the picture public domain free to use for anything as long as you cite him - he's got a lot of other cool public domain and such pictures available as well...

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jenni said…

    I am glad I am not the only one. I knit at intersections all the time and actually am perterbed when the light turns green. I once had a person that was collecting donations for an organization once tap on my window once and ask me what I was knitting. We had a nice conversation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home