WiNotKnit?

Yet another knitting blog, with elements of suspense and mystery thrown in ...

Sunday, March 19, 2006

GREEN SOUP

Here is what the internet was invented for!!! Flore-Marie's recipe for BELGIAN GREEN SOUP. Don't bust the door down, there's room for everyone!!

3 tbsp unsalted butter
5 large leeks, white and light green parts, rinsed well and sliced into thin rounds
2 large baking potates, peeled and cubed
5 cups chicken or beef broth

2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken tenders, raw, cut into 2" cubes
1 bunch of spinach, cleaned and WITH ALL THE STEMS CUT OFF

1 bunch of parsley


Melt the butter in a medium-sized soup pot (4 quarts or so) over a low heat.
Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes
Add the cubed potatoes
Add the chicken (or beef) broth

Add the raw cubed chicken
Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat and simmer covered until vegetables are soft and the chicken is done (appears fully whitened with no pinkness left)

When, and only when, all of the above is thoroughly cooked together, THEN
Add the spinach and the parsley and cook for 10 more minutes

Let the soup cool slightly then blend in a food processor
Return the soup to the pot, reheat slowly and serve
For a creamier texture, milk can be added, but do not bring it to a boil after that point

Ta-Dahh!!! This soup feeds your soul, and incidentally can help make you skinny.






4 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger beads-n-books said…

    I am SALIVATING just reading about it - I think I'll bring it in for my office's next luncheon!

    Patricia

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Thanks to you and your twin sister (and Mom!), I FINALLY got the famous recipe for the creamy green vegetable soup I alway get when in Belgium and Luxembourg! THANK YOU SO MUCH. I'll be making a batch...well, maybe tomorrow!

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger carolyn fisher said…

    Wow! Chris! I enjoyed reading your blogging. I am new to this. Bravo!
    Can't wait to stay in touch this way.

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    I'm the lady who was in front of you in the line at Berry Patch Farms. See, I remembered your address! I'll try your recipe when I've gotten the ingredients.

    Can't linger, the kids are taking their math test and I must peek in on them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home